Mum who Blogs turns Mum who Slogs
It’s been a long time since I can remember working so hard. It has been 2 weeks in a row of arriving into office early (actually, it’s ‘on time’ if you go by the Company’s official working hours of 8.30am – 5.45pm), eating lunch at my desk or at an odd hour; and leaving office when the sun has completely set.
This is the No.‘I-have-lost-count’ nights I am bringing work home to complete, after having a dinner and shower, spending some time with my Prince and tucking him into bed. And to make things worse, today is a Saturday night. Not that I have had many ‘paint the town red’ weekends since the Prince was born, but facing Excel worksheets and looking at stacks of data isn’t exactly my kind of game for the weekend.
Oh, if I didn’t mention earlier, the reason why I am so loaded with work is because I opted for a new regional role within my company and am now taking care of not just Singapore, but the South-East Asia markets. Along with it, comes a new boss who is Australian (yet to know him well enough to put any comments down but at the rate I have been going, you should be able to tell he’s definitely not working the typical Australian way).
As I tolled along these 2 weeks, I asked myself why I ever wanted to take up a regional role again. It reminded me of my work in Sony, which means for every report per country, you have to go through the same thing at least 7-10 times, depending on how many countries you are covering for the region.
The ‘Good’ side of me keeps encouraging by saying: “It’s for the better. You will get to learn more, better exposure and have higher market value next time.”; while the ‘Evil’ side kept nagging: “Never seen anyone work so hard without even an extra cent in increment yet. Some more take the risk to change boss, later cannot get along then you die. And family, how? Difficult to balance, you know!”
*To Be Continued*
9th April - SUNDAY NIGHT:
Decided to screw all unfinished work which is due tomorrow. So be-gone you stupid wireless mouse, notepad and stack of print-outs. I’ll face any music that is to come tomorrow. Besides, at this moment, I am in the process of turning green from having gastric. It’ll be a short week so I think mentally I should be able to take whatever type of music that is coming. Hubby and I are going to Japan on Wednesday! It’ll be our 1st holiday without the Prince, so it’s a mixed feeling of excitement, coupled with guilt and sadness because we are not bringing our precious with us.
Talking about our PP (Precious Prince), I snipped his ear this morning while cutting his hair. It was the last bit I was trying to cut off and bravo, our friend turned his head and my heart almost stopped when I saw that the tip of the scissors ended at his ear. To my relief and amazement, The Prince simply turned around, looked at me and scowled. He grabbed his left ear for a second and walked off to watch his TV program.
Then the relief turned into horror when I saw the blood seeping out from the wound. From my rusty First-Aid knowledge, I know I have to apply pressure to stop the bleeding. So off I went to grab some tissue and The Prince must be pretty annoyed because Mummy came, grabbed him, held his sides of the head and refuse to let him move a single inch. Of course, he probably couldn’t hear a thing because my palms were flat on his ears.
Thanks to Ee-Mei, who told me her hubby’s ear got cut by his hair stylist and she had to rush him to hospital for 6 stitches, I started to panic because I thought the Prince may faint due to loss of blood if the bleeding doesn’t stop. So I rang my Mum for help, and confessed of the stupid act I did and predictably, she went: “Ai yo, why didn’t you be more careful?!” (as if I am trying to get a kick out by blindfolding myself and trying to aim at The Prince’s head with a pair of scissors); before telling me the same thing of applying pressure to make the bleeding stop and adding some alcohol to prevent infection.
Perhaps, with age, comes true maturity. I say this because the Prince just turned 1 and a half 3 days ago, and I figured he didn’t cry because he knows accidents do happen and his life still continues even with a little cut on his ear. (Ok, this is me trying to make myself feel better). But I also say this because we have been asking the Prince whether he wants a ‘Didi (brother) or Mei-mei (sister)’ and he kept shaking his head. But after he turned 1 and a half, he did nod once to agree on the ‘mei-mei’ part so guessed he figured he has to share his parents with some other person and it will be fun to have a playmate around the house.
That’s it, time for bed. Still winching from the pain in the stomach and I think that’s a good enough reason to go and rest. After all, I have ‘trapped’ my son in the house over the whole weekend because Mummy has to work. And sadly, Mummy didn’t manage to finish even 50% of what’s due. And Mummy’s having 3 days worth of overseas visitors from tomorrow onwards and Mummy prays she has time to come home early to spend time with the Prince, to pack for the trip and not fall sick (I can feel it coming).
Anyway, if this blog site doesn’t get updated for the next few months, or if Blogspot decides to delete the address because of inactivity, you know the reason why.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home