Sunday, October 15, 2006

Some Observations



The following is not a snob remark, it is simply an observation I made some weeks ago and was reminded of it today again.

The difference between moving around in a neighbourhood mall and the malls in town is that you see different brands of shoes. Simply put, I'm just talking about seeing genuine Crocs Vs. unbranded imitation ones (and those branded 'seahorse'). It started with us bringing The Prince for Kindermusik @ Tanglin Mall and of course, you can't miss those cute little bright coloured Crocs that were laid outside the studios.

Then one weekend, we went to IMM's indoor children playground whereby you have to remove your shoes before stepping inside. Being the currently-too-big-to-chase-after-even-a-tortoise me, I sat down while The Prince was bashing through the jungle full of wild monkeys (i.e, older kids who were playing rough) and counted the no. of brightly coloured rubber shoes arond the playground. Impressively, I managed to spot at least 8 pairs of 'Crocs' and only 1 pair that was truly branded Croc. The rest either didn't have a logo on it or had that 'seahorse' imprinted on the black spot on the shoe.

Earlier this evening, we went to Forum and by now, my trained eyes were spotting genuine Crocs all around. Maybe I have just stated the obvious. The fundamentals of Marketing teaches the theory of 'Target Market' which means a certain place/ product is always created to suit a certain demand or customer group. Thinking further, that's also the reason why you find Giordano and Hang Ten at IMM but Espirit and Birkenstocks (and even Club 21) at the malls in town.

The pressing question I have though, is why would you buy fake Crocs because the real ones provide ergonomic design and comfort? To me, it's one of the most hideous shoes around but I have bought numerous pairs for my loved ones. What's more, bet the fake ones make your feet stink because the resin material used by Crocs is patented and with Singapore's weather, can you imagine the stench when sweat and rubber combine? Yuks...!!

Next, I have officially the LARGEST belly in my yoga class. Of course, the bigger ones have 'graduated' after popping since I joined. Do I envy those small tummy mummies, who look so graceful in the studio mirror as compared to bulky me.

Today, I spent 10% of the time comparing belly sizes through the reflection in the yoga studio,20% of the time trying to keep my lunch in (you are supposed to eat a full meal at least 2 hours before class, I finished mine 40mins before class started), 30% of the time trying to concentrate and not let my mind drift away, the remaining 40% mentally cursing and whining about my inflexibility and pain from my pelvis ligaments. Hence, I have decided to stop my classes come November and gather VERY strong willpower to practise at least once a week at home. This will help overcome the constraints I am facing, such as finding a good spot to park in Shaw Centre because the parking lots are so damn tight that I can't squeeze my belly through; rushing through lunch because The Prince's changing his nap habits (so we eat only when he's settled down for nap) and lastly, being able to skip certain postures which I can't do in class so that I won't be the only preggie sitting upright while the rest have one leg gracefully stretched backwards in the air!

Lastly, thanks to Uncle Dax and Auntie Lishan, The Prince got his 1st DKNY T-shirt and DKNY sweater for his birthday present. If not for them, Mummy would never have stepped foot inside Kids 21 DKNY boutique. The sweatsuit that The Prince initially got was too small for him (he wears clothes for a 3-4 year old now) and that style does not come in size larger than 2. Hence, I had to choose something else and I got him a pretty normal looking orange T which costs S$59 and a cream sweater (I love this one very much) at S$79. There were nicer ones, 'merely' ranging from S$79 - $119 and baby girls dresses (yes, I tried looking in that section too since the salesgal's service was so great) at S$109. I also paid $119 for a pink woolly cardigan but decided not to, just in case I don't even get a chance to use it even once and I'm going to slap my own face really hard for that.

Lastly, have I mentioned I stopped swimming a month ago because I have warts on my hands? The numbers grew apparently because of my low immunity system as I am pregnant and thus, the virus caused more warts to appear. Was told I have to avoid water and having my hands damp because warts strive best in those conditions. Don't worry, I have and am making a conscious effort to avoid touching anyone's hands, except those people whom I don't really fancy.


(Haircut by Mummy. Left side is longer than the right because The Prince decided to video-conference with his grandparents and thus only giving me access to the right side which I have already trimmed. Could have done a better job on his fringe but he wasn't in the most cooperative mood yesterday).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about $5 and below for smelly fake 'crocs' vs $80 (??) for real non smelly etc stuff.

It's the same with everything, not just crocs, right?

So are you off work already?

-Gator-

p.s. IMM got Esprit liao. And Pepper lunch too!

Tue Oct 17, 11:49:00 AM GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lilypie Baby PicLilypie Baby Ticker